Wednesday, 10 October 2012

http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-news/Haryana/Girls-should-be-married-early-to-stop-rape-Chautala/Article1-942440.aspx

I am so abashed by the comment stated by Haryana`s former chief minister Om Prakash Chautala who said "Girls Should be married early in order to stop rape". I do not understand the logic behind this inane statement put across. Already a clause has been assigned by the government that the legal age of marriage is 18 years, however, in some backward rural villages women are married far less than 18 years of age either because of illiteracy or being economically deficit.

Instead of preaching the message of "Educating Girls", the former Chief Minister is giving futile statements of getting the girls married so that rape cases are minimized. I think he should first think about penalizing the perpetrators rather than blaming the victims(girls, women). This reflects his rave and illiterate thinking. He should make the efforts of educating girls and women so that they become aware of various things.  

No comments:

Post a Comment